Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Featured ETC Member - HandmadeWhimsy!

In honor of all she does to support and promote Etsy Texas Crafters Team, we congratulate Tricia of HandmadeWhimzy as our featured ETC member!

Tricia of handmadewhimzy has contributed and participated in ETC behind and in front of the team's activities. In addition to being coordinator of the 1st Monday ETC sale she is the team gift swap coordinator. She also actively promotes ETC with team shop tags, in etsy forums, steering customers towards our newsletter and letting them know how to subscribe to it . Tricia participates in both our team's promo and gift swaps. She supports Monday team activities. These are only some of her contributions and we are glad to have her as featured member. Many thanks to Tricia.

Read her interview to find out more about her.


Tell us a bit about yourself (where you live, affiliations, achievements/awards, and any personal stuff you want to share). I live in Tyler, Texas with my hubby and son. Professionally, I'm a nurse (RN, BSN). One day I hope to go back to college for my Master's and to become a Nurse Practitioner. However, I haven't worked in nursing for about 9 years, since my son was 1. I recently worked for 3 years at a local nonprofit in their medication assistance program. I am currently being a SAHM and artist/crafter.

Are you an Etsy Buyer, Seller, or Both? I'm a buyer and a seller! You can find almost anything on etsy!

What is the first thing you can remember making by hand? How and why did you make it?Outside of school crafts (I still have the plaster handprint we made in 1st grade!), the first thing I remember making was doll clothes. I think my mother gave me some scraps to make them with. I'm sure I hand sewed them. I do remember getting a small sewing machine from S&H Green Stamps that I was really excited about but it didn't go in reverse so there was no way to "finish" a seam. I was very disappointed. I think I was about 8

Why do you create? Because it's fun! And I want to get all these ideas out of my head!

What inspires you? Where do your ideas come from? Everywhere. Usually I just start putting things together, like beads, and moving them around until I get an idea of what to do. Some are inspired by nature or color combinations I see different places.

What are your favorite materials? I love beads, fabric, paper, ribbon, wood, and paint.

What is your favorite color? Turquoise/aqua, tiffany blue.

What are your two most and least favorite films? 2 Most Favorite: Love Actually, Pride and Prejudice 2 Least Favorite: I don't like "guy" movies with all the shooting and exploding. I don't know the names of them because I don't watch them.

What are you reading right now?A book by Sophie Kinsella (an English writer) - it's one in the Shopaholic series - which I was reading LONG before the movie.

What is your favorite item you have purchased on Etsy? HMMMmmmm! I've liked everything I've purchased on etsy. I can't pick just one.

Any tips on selling handmade stuff?1. Always be upbeat at Arts and Crafts shows even if sales are slow. 2. Never smoke in your booth even if you're outdoors (my personal pet peeve!) 3. It takes time to build an online business, don't expect it to happen overnight. 4. Always be willing to try new things.

Apart from creating things, what do you do? Laundry!! LOL I also like to read, do yoga, take walks with my family, eat sweets (my downfall), help out at my son's school, and swim.

To visit Her blog Tricia's blog Tricia is going to have a featured sale: 20%off total purchase in HandmadeWhimzy.etsy.com and PinkPearDesigns.etsy.com. Please put "ETC Featured" in notes to seller at time of purchase to receive the discount. Can not be combined with any other ETC promos

1 comment:

GrandmaMarilyn said...

Read this when it first came out. Surprised with myself that I did not comment then. I always try to comment.

Great to get to know you, Tricia