Congratulations to Kim DuBois of Bellavioletta. She is our Hot Shop of the Week!
You'll love the things you'll find in her shop. She has such unique embellishments and ACEOs. Read her interview and take a look in her shop. You'll love it and her!
1. who is bellavioletta? My name is kim dubois and i live in whitney texas. my friends and family call me kimmy. i am very lucky to live on one of texas's wonderful lakes. i have done many things to make a living. owned a salon for many years that specialized in natural manicures , pedicures, facials, massage and sugaring. i have worked doing manicures and pedicures in the film industry. i drove a truck with my husband all over the USA. i have always been an artist underneath it all. i am at a good point in my life where i can let the artist out and go arting all day long.
2. What kind of crafting/art do you do? How long have you been doing it? What do you create----------i love to upcycle as much as possible. reuse what i can from what i have or find. thrift stores are such an inspiration. i have a series of aceos on etsy right now that are inspired by a day of thrifting. i recently accrued a box of old reject stamps from an office supply store at a good will and i am working them in with some ephemera for doe does, peace signs and other small hand cut embellishments. so back to what do i create--i make art out of anything. i quilt using upcycled and new fabrics. i paint on just about anything. i do hand embroidery and needle point on scraps of fabric that i make into hand bags and journal covers. i love making embellishments. i love fabric-glue-paper-glitter-ephemera-paint-and-high gloss varnish. i really cant remember not creating things. i don't think there was an beginning to my arting its just something i have always done.
3. Where do you pull your inspiration from? my inspiration-----------dreams--daydreams and R.E.M sleep dreams. when i start a project i have to see it work step by step in my head. the finished piece has to be worked out there 1st. I could be working on a painting, journal cover, or doe doe bird its all got to be visualized before i start it. when i get stuck on the "how to" it often comes to me in a dream, ta da the solution. i like to surround my self with interesting art supplies. i am a magpie of sorts, you never know when you will find a use for something hoarded. i collect paper, fabric, glitter, stamps, inks and paint. i would buy glue over food if given the choice. i really do live my art. etsy is a nice place to let some of my creations fly free.
4. What is your favorite medium? its hard to pick a favorite. the 1st things to come to mind are prisma colored pencils. i haven't used them for a while and i guess I'm feeling the need to draw. In truth i embrace many mediums. fabric, paper, paint,glue and thread the list goes on and on.
5. Is Etsy your art your full time job, or just an on the side project? because i am disabled my art and online marketplaces like ETSY are my full time job. i am not able to leave the house often and art really has saved my life. ART saves lives.At bellavioletta.etsy.com i want to spread art to others by reusing the everyday and making it beautiful.i want to make art that inspires you to creatively interact with it. i want you do feel a spark of inspiration when you buy a doe doe or other item from my shop. i want you to let YOUR imagination fly with my art.
6. What is your favorite thing to do with the Etsy Texas Crafters Team? the swaps and the monthly thread. i enjoy sending promo packs to my customers full of my teammates samples and cards and coupons. i have gotten wonderful feedback from them about all the Texas promos. the monthly threads are interesting and its a great way to keep in touch with the team members.
7. Any tips for other Artists? Stay true to your art. take the best pictures you can.
8. Tell me a Secret about yourself. I do not have a tv or a cell phone. its my form of freedom.
Thanks "Kimmy" for your wonderful answers and art! I love how you say you "would buy glue over food if given the choice" . What a wonderful answer!
If you would like to be featured next, please take a look in BellaVioletta and post back here with your favorite item. I'll pick a new shop to feature next week!