Sunday, February 21, 2010

Hot Shop of the Week!

Congratulations to Liz from LavenderLizard -- she has been selected as our Hot Shop of the Week! So sit back, grab a cup of coffee or a glass of iced tea, and enjoy Liz's interview and a few of her lovely creations.

Who is LavenderLizard?
Hi, I’m Liz, wife to a yarn-tolerant husband, mother of four handsome sons, and as the only female in our house, I am hopelessly outnumbered (even our two cats are boys)! I live in San Antonio, but I’ve spent a fair amount of time in the Dallas area and Austin/Round Rock as well. The Lavender Lizard is my primary Etsy shop for eco-friendly crocheted items like market bags and kitchen and bath scrubbies. I opened it in the summer of 2007.


Do you have any other shops on Etsy? If so, please tell us a bit about them as well.
My second Etsy shop is the Lavender Ladybug. I opened it in order to “clean up” my primary shop by moving my handmade embellishments there. Also I often list commercial craft items as well. A third shop is in the works (TaxiDermia), but as of yet, it remains empty. Stay tuned though…


Where else can you be found around the internet (blog, Facebook, Twitter, etc)?
I blog when I can manage to find some time. I usually blog about projects in the works and what’s going on with my boys. I’m also on Twitter and Facebook.


What do you create and how long have you been doing it?
Right now I primarily crochet, although I also cross-stitch and embroider and have dabbled in other craft mediums as well. I learned how to crochet when I was about 7 or 8, so I have tons of experience! My favorite things to create are beautiful and useful items – scarves, market bags, scrubbies and towels. My head is full of design possibilities. The hardest thing is finding the time to make everything that I would like to.


Where do you find your inspiration?
Usually my inspiration comes from either a particular color or fiber or a need. For instance, I needed a quick gift about a month ago so within a couple of days, I made a soft and lightweight scarf in this person’s favorite color. It was a simple pattern and worked up quickly, and now it’s being enjoyed by the recipient who lives in Germany. Also, one of my goals this year is to have a pattern published, so in that regard, I’m now being inspired by the submission guidelines and design themes for one of my favorite crochet magazines.


What is your favorite medium?
My favorite medium?? Yarn, of course! I especially love natural fibers like cotton and bamboo.


Is selling on Etsy your full time job, or just a side project?
Etsy feels like a full-time job that pays like an internship, which is to say, not much. I have slowed down quite a bit on Etsy, because the time commitment is huge. I sure wish Etsy had been around before I had children (lol), but I am happy to have the access of an international marketplace! I have sold items to buyers around the world, and there’s nothing cooler than that!


What is your favorite thing to do with the Etsy Texas Crafters team?
I love the monthly Design Challenges. I usually think and think about what to create for the themes; sometimes I think too much and run out of time. I also must say that I like to create the team treasuries (55 and counting). I love the challenge of creating a cohesive look or theme from 12 shops, and it’s also a challenge to grab a treasury spot as well!.


Any tips for other Artists / Crafters?
Create what you love! If you’re not enjoying the process, then there’s something wrong.


Tell me a Secret about yourself.
I’m going to be in a crafting book! (More details on that to come!) Oh, and I had typhoid fever. Twice.


Thank you, Liz, for such a wonderful interview! We love getting to know our team members better (especially members of our Leadership Team) and checking out their amazing creations!

If you would like to be considered for next week's Hot Shop of the Week, simply go to LavenderLizard or LavenderLadybug and pick out your favorite item. Post back here with the link to the item & why it was your favorite -- and don't forget to post your shop name as well! And if you have more than one favorite item, it is perfectly fine to post multiple times, as long as you post all the requested information each time. Then, I'll use a random number generator to pick a new Hot Shop for next week from everyone who has commented on this post by midnight on Thursday, Feb 25th, and will post the next interview on Sunday, Feb 28th.

NOTES:

>> EVERYONE is welcome to comment on this article, but only ETC members will be eligible for selection as a Hot Shop. Thanks for understanding!

>> Comments by ETC members that do not include the requested information (link to favorite item, why it's your favorite, and your shop name), will not be eligible for selection.

>> Shops that have already been featured as Hot Shops will not be featured again unless the only members who post comments have all already been featured.

14 comments:

TexasEagle said...

My favorite
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12789993

I love this Texas Scarf! Great work and shows off our Texas Pride! I have many international friends that LOVE Texas and I'm sending them the link right now!
Norma
Texas Eagle Gallery and Wee Irish Gallery

LindaGJ said...

Congratulations are in order for your feature!!! I adore all your wonderful art pieces. I can not figure out a favorite! But I love scarves so much and think the one you did with all the colors is beautiful!!!
Happy Day to YOU!!!!
Linda :)

On Gossamer Wings said...

I really love the Silk/Bamboo Wave Pattern Scarf. (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20121928) I love the dynamic of the wave pattern, and the yarn used looks quite luxe!

Angelia
OnGossamerWings

On Gossamer Wings said...

I also love the set of 3 crocheted solid star motifs (http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=21224380). The color palette is just so pretty!!

Angelia
OnGossamerWings

Ginger Babies said...

I love the Texas scarf! Beautifully done, you can tell you take pride in your craft!

Ginger
gingerbabies

ApacheMoon said...

Way to go Liz! I have been adoring your scarves for a long time. I am glad you are the week's hot shop. :)

Nita

Anonymous said...

I love the Texas scarf. So original!!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=12789993

Kimberley
kimberleymade

peanutfeet said...

I love the set of small purple hearts!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=26218105 I collect hearts and can never get enough!

peanutfeet
www.peanutfeet.etsy.com

Finding Charm said...

I like this scarf: Partly Sunny, cute name!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=28314287

As soon as I saw this, it was automatically my fav. This is my favorite candy...Candy Corn!
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=32124313

I'm a new member!
http://www.etsy.com/shop/findingcharm

Angi Barrs said...

I love the Set of 6 Crocheted Flower Motifs from LavenderLadybug's shop. The orange color is beautiful and bright.
Angi @ Cokiepopaper

Regina of Live Delightfully said...

I think this is my favorite item. I love all the different colors that make it so easy to wear with anything! It's really beautiful!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=15467353

Great interview! :)

Regina of VivatRegina

Unknown said...

I'm a lip balm freak (probably due to the movie Three Amigos) so I really loved these lip balm holders at Lavender Lizard. I also love bright colors, so really, what was not to love????? Everything is gorgeous, I must say!

http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=37614056

Martha at PBandJDesign.etsy.com

Jaclyn said...

My favorite item is from the second shop, Lavenderladybug. i like the Crocheted Stars, especially the closed ones: http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=14534163

I think that items that require structure look better crocheted than knitted and these would be a great addition to any knitted hat, bootie, etc. I might just have to buy them!

Jaclyn
www.jaclyn43552.etsy.com

Tricia ~~ Handmade Whimzy said...

I love all of Liz's stuff!!!
I love this scarf in her Lavenderlizard shop:
http://www.etsy.com/view_listing.php?listing_id=20121928

Thanks so much Liz for all you do for our team. You Rock!

I also love those cute flower motifs in her lavenderladybug shop. Those are great!